URL forwarding allows you to redirect traffic sent to a domain under your control, to another website. This is a really useful tool and provides a quick and easy way to direct visitors to mywebsite.co.uk, mywebsite.fr etc. to mywebsite.com .
The EuroDNS control panel supports three different types of forwarding:
Framed-forwarding: This presents the destination website within an IFRAME in the browser window. Example: if you were to frame-forward mywebsite1.com to mywebsite2.com, visitors to your domain would see domain1.com in the URL bar of their browser, but would see the contents of domain2.com in the main browser window (in an IFRAME).
Permanent 301 redirect: Someone typing mywebsite1.com would be redirected to mywebsite2.com , no frames are used so the URL bar would reflect the new destination. Using a 301 redirect also tells the search engines "mywebsite1.com now lives at mywebsite2.com, please update your indexes".
Temporary 302 redirect: Someone typing mywebsite1.com would be redirected to mywebsite2.com just like in a 301 redirect BUT a different signal is sent to the search engines "mywebsite1.com is temporarily living at mywebsite2.com, please don't update your indexes just yet".
When redirecting multiple domains for brand-protection purposes (eg. mywebsite.fr, mywebsite.de, etc -> mywebsite.com) a 301 permanent redirect is usually the way to go, as it signals to Google that the destination website is the definitive source website. To set one up, follow the instructions below:
To set up URL forwarding, please follow the instructions below:
- Log into your EuroDNS account
- Enter your Control Panel, select Registered Domains
- Click Manage Domain next to the domain name concerned
- Click Manage Zone
- On the DNS Zone page you should click the URL Forwarding tab, then Add URL Forwarding
- In the Host box enter the hostname of the source URL: please create two URL forward rules and enter as host only @ in the first rule and only www in the second rule, or a different subdomain
- In the Forward To box, enter the destination URL (www.example.com)
- In the Type box, select permanent redirect (301) to display the destination URL in the browser address bar. Select In a Frame box, to display the source URL in the browser address bar.
- Confirm, and don’t forget to save
- You can only set up URL forwarding for a domain using the EuroDNS default name servers (ns1.eurodns.com/ns2.eurodns.com/ns3.eurodns.com/ns4.eurodns.com).
- The DNS changes you have chosen should be fully working within 24 hours.